Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Leap frog died during show :(

ice

This weekend I was operating a leap frog. When I went out for a quick leak the other opp. came running out that the desk crashed. I immediately rushed back in, and indeed; the console was completely gone. Fortunalty all the intelligent lighting remembered there last settings, so the band wasn't completely dark; but I wasn't ammused at all.

The monitor displayed somed scrambled text (unreadable), and the desk didn't respond to anything at all. There was no throwing of beer of something, so that couldnt have been the cause of it. The only unusual aspect was the fact that it was nearly freezing, and so was the desk. I don't know if that could have caused the problem?

I resetted the desk and it worked again, but my collegue told me that it crashed another 2 times afterwards, but after that it was fine again. As you can see I can't reproduce the problem. I'll install the newest software edition this week, and pray that this won't happen again during more important shows than the one last week.

I know you probably don't have a solution, but wanted to post the problem anyway; crashing desks != sweet!

greetings from Holland, Jasper

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Yup , zero electronics can catch a cold ! (What temperatures are specified in the spec sheet?)

I suggest you use a electric blanket (under the desk) in the future for outdoor gigs during the colder seasons. Keeps the hands warm as well in the interlude!

Now, I could suggest a high-tech feature for the Frog desks, but ehmm...

It not so much the cold but the build up of condensation as the desk warms up after being in the cold.

This can form on the Dim moduel and around the battery, giving bad connections.

The normal solution is to let the desk warm up for 1/2 - 1 hour before use.

If the enviroment is sub zero this will be impossible to do as the desk will heat up while running. There is then no real solution to combat this but you could seal the whole PCB with some silican spray. This seems to work well with the desk that we have on some of the cruise ships where salt build up has the same sort of effect.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

Zero 88 Support: support@zero88.com

Yup, the usual symptoms of a cold: "foam on the olfactory module & bad head connections" (did you mean that KWR?).

And so, the common remedy is rest (under the electric blanket) & _F_R_U_I_T_: the Frog Respawn Incubator Unit Thermostat.

But seriously, the the blanket does work: it warms (hence dries) the desk (the Zero Tissue Box).

Strikingly, the thread was started by 'ice' !

Now about this suggestion...