Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

"Spread" function in FROGmode??

BjMae

Do we need a Spread Function in FROG mode?  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• Absolutely - the softwareupdateguys should never leave work until the uograde is written!
    • No, I don't like good lighting design.

I have been lucky enough to have some time alone with the FatFrog on an empty stage today, and really got time to play around with the desk, and there is one thing (besides the very partial partialmode described earlier) I am missing most of all...: A SPREAD FUNCTION in the FROG function.

I wanted to create a circle moving effect with a random Irischase, but couldn't figure out how... I know many fixtures can do this by themselves, but almost as many doesn't. Am I stupid, or is there no way the FixtureRandomOutputGenerator can generate a random output of only one parameter of a fixture? I see that the LCDwheels aren't used for anything in FROGfunction. What about making one wheel Fine spread and one wheel Coarse spread?? :idea: :?:

Hope you figure out how, because this is almost as important as the Sirius-partial partialmode :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance!

Did anyone say release 6.x??

FROG function :

You can stop specific channels of the Moving light being included in the FROG function by setting their values with the wheels.

So :

Select the fixture

Select Beamshape (for example)

Hit F.R.O.G. (Everything goes mad !)

Using the wheels / wheel group button, set the beamshape parameters you

don't want included in the FROG function.

You can then record as appropriate.

As for spreads and so forth, we are reviewing the effects on the desk at the moment.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

For i.e an Iris effect output from FROG, this is how I want it to work: You tag your fixtures, press B.S, press FROG and take over every other beamshape attribute than Iris. Then you set the min and max values for beamshape in the FROG window. Now, the Iris of all your fixtures does exactly the same thing, but there should be an option to "delay" or change the intervals between the fixtures, so that you get a more "random-ish" look. But still in control of it. Try the shape generator on the Pearl, and you'll see what I'm talking about. This is a fantastic effect for many parameters, but especially for Iris, Zoom, Focus and Shutter...

Hope you understand better what I would like you to fix :lol: ...

...and if you're looking for a beta tester, you'll find an email-address in my profile... :wink:

• 6 months later...
For i.e an Iris effect output from FROG, this is how I want it to work: You tag your fixtures, press B.S, press FROG and take over every other beamshape attribute than Iris. Then you set the min and max values for beamshape in the FROG window. Now, the Iris of all your fixtures does exactly the same thing, but there should be an option to "delay" or change the intervals between the fixtures, so that you get a more "random-ish" look. But still in control of it. Try the shape generator on the Pearl, and you'll see what I'm talking about. This is a fantastic effect for many parameters, but especially for Iris, Zoom, Focus and Shutter... Hope you understand better what I would like you to fix :lol: ...

I think I understand what you want now. At present if you FROG a fixture parameter (eg Iris) for a number of fixtures of the same fixture type, then the parameter will output random values between the specified limits, but the diffferent fixtures will all output the same random values at the same time. One suggestion might be to have a new option in the FROG parameter screen which enables fixtures of the same type to output different values rather than all the same output values - correct :?:

Frog Reference No 5414 - Provide an option in the FROG function to stop fixtures of the same type outputting the same random values for a particular parameter - to be reviewed.

Bran Media | Myspace

The main thing to remember here is that we significantly improved the movement effects engine to have 6 parameters (effect, size x, size y, offset, rotation and speed) to provide the user with a much wider range of possible shapes, all of which which could be rotated, offset and synchronised.

The main object of the FROG function was to provide a quick and simple RANDOM effect, which could be applied to selected fixture parameters.

As such, there are significant differences between the two functions:

With a movement effect on a fixture you store 8 values for that fixture (Pan, Tilt and the 6 movement effect parameters mentioned above).

When you FROG a fixture parameter, all that is stored in the memory or submaster data is a single value which represents FROG. The FROG parameters which you see on the FROG screen are global and apply to ALL fixture parameters which have been set to FROG rather than a static value.

Therefore, although the final result may appear similar in some cases, the user interface and internal architecture of the memory data etc is quite different.

Bran Media | Myspace