Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

USB Memory Stick Problems

rkthomson

The USB memory stick needs to be formatted FAT16 or FAT32 to work in the Jester. As far as I know, this is the way USB memory sticks work regardless of what operating system you are running. But then I've never used a Mac, so I'm not sure what options it might offer you when formatting the memory stick.

• 1 month later...

The software upgrade process doesn't touch the show data, so you don't actually need to save your show first.

Some questions...

Is the memory stick you're using write protected?

Can you write files to it OK from a PC?

Does it have at least 128KB free for the Jester showfile?

At what point in the save process does it say save failed?

Does the LED on the memory stick flash steadily when you put it in the Jester?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We had our first 'Live' theater show with our Jester 24/48 and it performed great!.

Altough we had a little problem saving our show to USB Stick.

According to the manual, after saving a show, the Jester would 'return' to the Superuser menu, but it does not do that. The show is saved perfectly, but he 'keeps hanging' in the 'Load - Save Show' menu, where there is no possibility to return to a higher menu level (ie. Superuser menu).

Anyone a suggestion to what we are doing wrong?

Our software version is 1.9

Best regards,

Dominic

PS. If this is an existing software problem, I would like to suggest a patch for this.

After the Save Show operation, you should get:

**** SAVE SHOW ****

Success

<OK>

If you press Enter on OK here, you should go back to...

<Save Show>

<Load Show>

<Erase Show>

<OK>

If you press Enter on OK here, you go back to Super User. To get out of Super User, hold the MODE button for 1s.

Which step is it stopping at?

Paul,

Thank you for your clear info. I'll have to check it in the weekend.

I'll keep you posted. If I recall correctly, the saving of the show was 'success', after witch we pressed 'Enter' for the <OK>.

Then I returned into the menu of

<Save Show>

<Load Show>

<Erase Show>

But there is no <OK> there to go back. It was even impossible in that situation to presse the 'MODE' button for 1 second to quit the Super User mode.

Bizarre....

But as I say: I'll check it in the weekend.

• 10 months later...

I have been using our new Jester in anger this week for the first time. However last night I came to save the showfile to USB. I plugged in the drive and selected to save show, gave it a name and hit enter, the desk returned the statement 'Failed' at 0%. Is there any requirements for the USB stick?

I am assuming that the Jester is running V2.1 as it was only purchased in December.

The stick is a generic 512Mb that works in a windows (XP, Vista Win2K) machine without any problems, the stick is pretty much empty.

I have tried formatting to 'FAT', 'FAT32' and 'NTFS?'

The led on the stick lights up as soon as I plug it in an remains on throughout.

I have tried putting the stick in before the desk is powered, after powering, before and after entering 'superuser'

I also tried to use the sound guy's memory stick, with similar results, other than the memory sticks LED flashes on initially and then goes off.

Any Ideas???

Hi Neil,

I've split your feature suggestions into THIS TOPIC for clarity.

As for the USB problems, usually reformatting the memory stick as FAT32 fixes those (see posts above). It's worth checking the desk is indeed running the latest software, since your desk may have been sat on the shelf at a dealer for some time before you bought it.

Paul.

Paul, Thanks for spliting that off, I hadn't realised there was a seperate 'suggestion box' thread.

I checked the desk last night and it's running V2.1 of the software. I also took every memory stick that I could find in the house that I could format to FAT32. (3, ranging from 128Mb to 1Gb) When I plugged a stick in to save, the LED does not come on at all, it seems that the desk didn't even regognise the stick was there.

I also checked with the dealer Northern Stage, the desk was pretty much shipped direct from the factory.

If three separate memory sticks all reformatted to FAT32 aren't even getting the LED on the memory stick to light, then unfortunately it sounds like there is a problem with your desk. My first guess would be that inside the desk, the USB cable to the front panel has become detatched from the processor PCB.

You can either get the desk back to your dealer for them to look at, or call our friendly service bloke Keith in the office (01633-838088) for some more advice or to arrange a return direct to us. If it is just the cable come out, then it's a quick and easy fix.