Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Chauvet CFT

Borg

Hi

I have bought a set of chauvet mini legends moving head lights and i have been having a go at adding them to my DMX system with a fat frog but i am having a lot of problems adding them as a fixture (well no sucess at all!) i can easily controll them using channel faders 1-6 etc.

I dont no if it is because i dont have a CFT for the lights to load onto it but i am stuck!

if anyone can help please do!

Thanks

Will Harrison

Hi Borg

First off, controlling intelligent fixtures such as the Mini Legends is best done using the fixture area of the Fat Frog. The Fat Frog allows you to assign up to 12 fixtures using the buttons on the right hand side of the desk.

These fixtures are assigned in Super User mode... hold down + and - and press ENTER to go into Super User. Now use the arrow keys to navigate to Desk Setup, Assign Fixtures. Now press the fixture select button and move into the two blank fields below. Select "Select fixture from floppy disk". You will require a fixture library file for the fixtures you have - the easiest way to do this is to download the Zero88 Fixture Library, from here.

Unzip and place this file onto a floppy disk and insert the disk into the Fat Frog. Now press ENTER and the Fat Frog will load a list of the library contents into the desk. Scroll through the manufacturers until you find Chauvet, then select Mini Legend. Press ENTER to assign this fixture to the fixture button you pressed earlier.

Now do the same for each repeat of the fixture you require. Note that after pressing a new fixture button, pressing the down arrow will automatically reselect the fixture type you last used.

Once you've done this for each fixture type required, move down to {Exit} and press ENTER.

Now navigate down two menu options to <Patch Functions>, <Manual Patch>. Press the fixture button for the first fixture and enter its DMX address (either using the up and down arrows, or with the external keyboard). The DMX address must match the one assigned to the fixture - for details on how to set the fixture DMX address, see the user manual for the specific fixture. We recommend setting your fixture DMX address above 49, in order to prevent it conflicting with the generic channels on the desk - these can be repatched, but for simplicity, try and use a higher address.

Once you've entered the DMX address, press ENTER and do the same for all fixtures. Now navigate to {Exit} and press ENTER, following through all the menus to exit Super User.

You have now successfully patched your fixtures. To test this, select the fixtures (press the fixture buttons so that the red LED lights on each fixture). Now press HOME, and the fixtures should go to their home position (open white, 50/50 pan/tilt, no gobo)

Controlling the fixture is now done via the wheels below. Select the attribute group you wish to control by pressing the appropriate button - Brightness, Colour, Beamshape, Position - and then move the wheel under the relevant parameter.

I hope this helps you get started with the Fat Frog. Please feel free to post any furthur questions you may have, and we'll be happy to answer them.

Peter

Peter Kirkup