Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Preset B converted to Submasters

Kresten Bager

Hey all,

I was running a show this weekend and as always I ran out of submasters. I don't use pages as I find it too difficult to change pages during a live show. So here's my thought:

Could the Preset B faders be used as submasters as they are on the Jester?

This would increase the submasters from 24 (on the Bullfrog) to 72 (48 + 24)!

wow that would be great!

Best regards Kresten Bager

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk

Hey Transalp,

I aggree with you - we cannot do without half the faders. I suggest making a option in the super user menu: "Change preset b to submasters".

Enabeling this option will make the preset shift (1-48/49-96) button change the top faders between preset a and preset b. Perhaps it is better to use the preset control button? This is a problem if a fader, say A6 is up and the user changes to preset B. Fader 6 will still be up but the software should not respond to this until the fader has been brought down to 0 and up again (like the submasters now).

If the option is not enabled the desk will function as before.

To sum up: I am looking for what the Jester has. To be able to let a row of faders be both generic channels and submasters.

Best regards

Kresten Bager

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk

Maybe we should take all the different functionality that is provided on all the different desks we make and put it onto a single mega desk so that it could emulate any of our current desks - problem solved - apart from the fact that it would cost you far more than you would be willing to pay :twisted: :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Hey Transalp,

Enabeling this option will make the preset shift (1-48/49-96) button change the top faders between preset a and preset b.

Its not quite as simple as that - What happens to the flash buttons, do they flash the submasters, the channels, or do we have to find a way of switching that over too? Remember that the preset control button already has functionality in wide mode... how would you intend setting up a second scene, blind? This would be a pretty major software re-engineer. We'd need to redesign the outputs window to show you both Preset A and Preset B at the same time, which on a BullFrog would be rather difficult.

Nice idea, but probably not practical with the current hardware arrangement - we're running out of buttons!

Peter Kirkup

One of the original design aims of the Frog series that everything was there in front of you and you knew exactly what would happen if you pressed a button or moved a fader. On this desk there was never intended to be any mode-dependant behaviour. This is one of the things that makes the desk easy to learn and intuitive to use (we hope). One-button-one-function makes the panel bigger, but that's the point of the desk.

Now that rule has been stretched somewhat with the way the functionality has grown (see THIS TOPIC for a broad overview of what's been added since the front panels were designed). But I think on balance, making preset faders into submasters on the Frog is probably a step too far. If you're running out of subs on a Bullfrog, then you need to be re-thinking the way you structure your programming and operation to use the features that are in there already to help you.

The physical size of Jester necessitates that faders/buttons double-up in function, and this is clearly defined for the different operating modes of the desk (Preset, Program, Run). The Jester takes it's lead from previous desks like the XL/XLS and Elara which have distinct operating modes.

As others have said, it's a nice idea, but it's not really right for the Frogs.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I guess we (the users) of the frogs are starting to push towards the edge of what can be done and what is in line with the original design. I think the one button - one function philosophy is very noble and right after my own head - but honestly this has long been laid to rest on the Frogs. The major downfall of the Frogs is the lack of soft buttons in my opinion. But fair enough, the frogs are gracefully aging and the Frog 2 seems to take over where they fall short.

Perhaps I must face fact and retire our trusty green friend to the status of backup and theater desk.

Kresten Bager

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk