Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Jester Feature Suggestions (assorted)

Stu

I recently suggested a Jester 24/48 for our studio venue (in addition to the 2x ETC Expression 3s we have for the main houses) which we later bought, and having played with it over the last week here is some random opinions & suggestions.

I understand some things may not be physically implementable at software level but I've suggested bits all the same - see what sticks!

Cheers

Stu

Lighthouse, Poole's Centre For The Arts

Good Points

USB support – means possible software upgrades for a variety of things, also USB memory sticks are dirt cheap and in plentiful supply.

Monitor output – also a good layout and plenty of information is available in one screen. Colour co-ordinated screens help operator see what mode they are in at a glance.

Traditional cue stack – no pages of cues, or cues operated without a GO button. Plus insertable cues, and correct fade times J

Recessed panel at rear for connections – good if you are using the desk in confined spaces.

Good solid buttons – nice size, definite click, and not too crowded. Only slight criticism is the click is loud and not good for noise critical situations.

AUX channels – allowing control of additional DMX controlled appliances without sacrificing existing channels.

Full DMX512 patch – also allowing a number of dimmers to be patched to a channel. Also like the way the dimmers can be patched to a channel by pressing its flash button.

Also...

Clear & bright LCD panel

Good price

DMX in for backup purposes

Suggestions

When programming fade times, the FADE TIME WHEEL is too sensitive. Could it be possible to program fade times in the PROGRAM (red) window by using the left & right arrow keys to move to the FADE UP/DOWN column and then using the UP/DOWN keys to select the required fade time?

When moving around the cue stack / memory screen in program mode, by pressing ENTER and then the cue number required, would it be possible to enter 2, 3, 4 etc for single digit cue numbers instead of 002, 003, 004. Ditto for 2 digit cues numbers (10 instead of 010).

When naming a sub or cue, pressing another number for a different letter does not move on a space before selecting that letter – meaning the letter you have just done is ‘erased’. You have to wait for the cursor to move on or advance manually before continuing to type.

USB keyboard support? (Be able to use number pad, space bar as a go – similar to the implantation on the existing Frog range).

Ability to program AUX channels into cue stacks, submasters etc. Perhaps some sort of tagging system that means when you press SHIFT to select aux channels, the LEDs light up to show which channels are tagged and therefore will be included in the programming. Also, this could be extended to include ‘grab’ levels so when you go back into the AUX channels, and you’ve previously set aux 1 to 45% (for example), you would need to move aux 1 fader back to 45% before you have control – similar (or exactly the same?!) as grabbing channels already programmed in submasters or memories/cues. This could be taken a step further to be implemented at a AUX channel by channel basis on the Aux Setup screen in Super User.

When in PROGRAM mode and moving from up and down the screen using the UP/DOWN cursor keys, would it be possible for cues not to become live on stage – perhaps instead being able to go to the que you require and then press ENTER to make it live? (Thinking of the potential hazard to bubbles if they keep snapping up/down, especially with less experienced operators).

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the feedback. Most if not all of your feature suggestions reflect comments we have received from elsewhere, and are items which will be considered for a future release. Can't make any promises at the moment though on when this may be.

The only one that would be tricky would be the USB keyboard support. The USB memory storage function in the Jester is provided by a co-processor which can't itself be upgraded from a USB memory stick. This would be a back-to-factory upgrade, but that doesn't mean it won't ever get done, it just means we may have to make a small charge for it.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your speedy reply - I look forward to seeing how the desk evolves in the future, should be good!

One thing I did forget off my list yesterday is that when your running cues, and you get the GO for the next one before the previous one has finished fading, you press GO to the next cue and it snaps the previous fade to it's completion as oppossed to fading it out over the fade time of the new cue. Can look a bit weird!

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, lovely desk - much better than some of it's similarly priced counterparts...

Cheers,

Stu

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

In Run Mode it is possible to raise a channel level, but it would also be useful if you could "capture" and lower it. and/or when you select Program Mode from Run mode, it stayed on the same Memory Step so that it could be Edited. At present, it goes to the next memory step if you switch from Run to Program.

Another thought is that the Output stays in Run Mode thereby enabling "Blind" editing of memory levels when program mode is selected. Currently the Output goes to the levels of the scene memory selected when switching between modes.

This means that it is not possible to reprogram a memory whilst running a show which can be a major disadvantage.

Following some experimenting, I have solved one problem.

To change current lighting state, select "Next" as the same Memory you are on and then go into "Program" mode. Make changes, reselect "Run" mode and you will be on the same Memory step. Don't forget to then select the Next Memory!

Might be useful to put this info in the Operating Manual.

• 1 year later...

Those fixed already:

Leading zeroes when entering numeric values - fixed in version 1.5.

Naming & pressing a different letter - fixed in version 1.6.

Pressing GO mid-fade JES-531 - fixed in version 2.1.

Reference numbers for the others:

JES-515 - Numeric entry of fade times.

JES-529 - USB Keyboard support.

JES-530 - Ability to record auxiliaries.

JES-516 - Auxiliary faders to pick-up levels.

JES-511 - 'Try Cue' option in Program Mode (instead of immediate snap to selection on outputs).

JES-746 - When changing from Run Mode to Program Mode, select the Current Memory rather than the Selected (Next) Memory.

JES-1438 - Reducing channel output levels in Run Mode.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I am now using the jester 12/24 for a few days in theater and I have following suggestion:

When you set the jester in two preset operation mode, the go button is disabled. So I would suggest to use this go button to copy a scene from memory to the preset from which the preset master is set to 0. After the copying you can see the LED in the flash button blink of the channels that are active. It would be interesting to be able to fetch these fader levels and adjust them or add other faders to the particular scene. (actually the same way as you have in program mode)

Once the scene is copied the next scene number is incremented.

The up and down buttons can be used to decrement and increment the next scene number.

And the clear button could be used to reset all faders of the not used preset.

This will help me to find a way to manually fade between two stored scenes. And could be helpful if the number of scenes exceeds my 24 submasters.

Thanks for your understanding,

Pieter

• 3 months later...

Split from another topic...

Suggestions:

Overall, coming from a Sirrus I have found the Jester a great desk to use, however any of the following would make it even better...

'Blind' editing facility:

When entering 'Program' mode, the existing cue would ideally remain outputted, allowing a blind edit to another selected cue, only on a button press within 'program' (Possibly 'Shift'-'Go') would live output that cue, This would allow editing while in a show, it would also save my scrollers, as the constant snapping within the 'program mode can't good for them. )Maybe if the cues in 'program' mode always faded at the rate on the fade pot. allowing me to be a bit more gentle with the scrollers.)

When you change from Program Mode to Run Mode, it is the Selected (Next - yellow bar on monitor) cue that is selected, not the Current (green bar on monitor) cue. Although the suggestion to change this has been logged:

JES-746 - When changing from Run Mode to Program Mode, select the Current Memory rather than the Selected (Next) Memory.

The suggestion to change the way that Program Mode immediately outputs cues on selection has been logged for consideration in a future update:

JES-511 - Try Cue option in Program Mode

Naming Cues in 'Run'

For me, the naming of cues is something I like to do, but generally it's always a luxury and I don't have the time during the plot, it would be great to be able to add or edit the name tags while in the 'run' mode, (a bit redundant if the blind edit is a possiblity)

If fade times can be used in Program Mode (see above), then this will be solved.

Offline editor

Speaks for itself... Would be a great addition, even just a program that allows the PC to read the show file and maybe even edit the file in notepad etc.

Requested a few times already:

JES-547 - Offline Editor

Time selection Pot'

At smaller times, the fade pot is too sensitive, maybe a logrithmic scale would be better so that 1/2 way around is only 5 seconds or so. as I imagine that the 1/10th second resolution wouldn't be required beyond the 5 seconds. It's only minor but all my cues have ended up as 2.1, 1.8, 2.2 seconds instead of 2 for example. A alternative would be to allow direct numeric entry for fade times through the bump buttons.

JES-515 - Numeric entry of fade times

Little-lite

the addition of a gooseneck socket would be great, assuming that there is enough capacity in the PSU for one

The Jester was designed to use USB lamps, we took a value judgement that the cost of fitting an additional XLR lamp socket was not justified on this desk.

Copy/Paste of Chase cues

after spending 20 mins generating a 30 step chase in the wrong place in the stack, imagine my horror at not being able to copy/paste the chase as a single cue.

Unfortunately this isn't possible on the Jester - see THIS TOPIC. As an aside, on the JesterML, the Copy/Paste feature is replaced with an Edit feature which allows you to do this.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I'm using the Jester 24/48 mostly in theater with preprogrammed shows.

It would be nice to have a flashing GO button while the crossfade is running. Or red while it's running and green when it's reached the memory.

The Led which is blinking now between the memories is too small and hidden (for me).

Maybe an idea for future software update?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your feedback.

This is a feature we have updated on the Jester ML 24, Jester ML 48 and Jester TL Xtra, but hasn't made it's way down to the standard Jesters yet. I've taken note of your feedback as issue ZJE-5014

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control