Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fatfrog crashes

Jan Giezen

Hi there,

My fatfrog (software version 8.1) has some strange problems, which make it nearly impossible to work with it.

1. It often loses the tagged memories to the submasters, the memories are still there but before running a show I have to re-tag them to the submasters.

2. When I want to add a new fixture to an empty fixture-button, very strange things happen, such as:

- some position pallets are dissapeared

- all programmed memories have lost the color settings

- sometimes position settings are lost

- complete memories disappear

- restarting the fatfrog sometimes recovers some problems for a while

3. At this moment I have to reload the show from a disk and re-tag the memories to the submasters before doing a show.

4. Some questions

- can the problems be caused by a bad memory ?

- can submaster data also being saved to a floppy ?

- is it possible to save the complete fatfrog configuration to a floppy ?

- anyone any ideas about the problems ?

Thanks,

Jan Giezen :evil: :evil:

Hi there,

My fatfrog (software version 8.1) has some strange problems, which make it nearly impossible to work with it.

1. It often loses the tagged memories to the submasters, the memories are still there but before running a show I have to re-tag them to the submasters.

Do you mean memories which have been transferred onto submasters ?

2. When I want to add a new fixture to an empty fixture-button, very strange things happen, such as:

- some position pallets are dissapeared

- all programmed memories have lost the colour settings

- sometimes position settings are lost

- complete memories disappear

- restarting the fatfrog sometimes recovers some problems for a while

Are you operating in full or partial mode ?

In either case the above things should not happen, but adding a fixture to the setup after programming memories and submasters will have some effect on the memory and submaster data. Depending on the operating mode of the desk, additional fixture data may be added into existing memories/submasters at it's default values and a brightness of zero.

3. At this moment I have to reload the show from a disk and re-tag the memories to the submasters before doing a show.

4. Some questions

- can the problems be caused by a bad memory ?

If there is a problem with the flash memory or the memory chips are not seated properly this may be a possibility.

- can submaster data also being saved to a floppy ?

- is it possible to save the complete fatfrog configuration to a floppy ?

When you save the show to floppy disk, all the memory, submaster, palette and desk setup information is stored in the show file.

Thanks,

Jan Giezen :evil: :evil:

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Hello K-Nine

1. Indead I mean memories which have been transferred to the submasters.

2. I am programming the desk in partial mode

- I think that I should be able to add a fixture to the desk without any strange effects to already existing memories ??!

3. For so far as I have been able to check at this moment, only the memories are saved to disk cause when I reload a show without first re-asigning the fixtures, I get an error. After reloading the show all submasters are empty while memories where transferred to it before saving the show.

Jan Giezen :(:(

Oke, what exactly happens:

1. Restoring a fresh saved show seems to load OK, including submasters etc. but it seems that I for sure have to clear ALL MEMORY.

2. Adding 2 new fixtures to my existing desk setup don't mess up anything, so when I have free fixture places, NO PROBLEM

3. When I am deleting fixtures (that are even NOT programmed in a memory, but already assigned), all existing memories lose the color information.

4. For some unknown reason some memories which were transferred to submasters dissapear from the submasters. Mostly it seems to happen between two shows and could be caused by a transportation problem (Yes I have a high quality flightcase with 2cm foam in it)

Is there any-one at Zero who can give some advice ?

Jan Giezen

Most of your problems suggest that there could be a problem with the battery in your desk. There are 2 types of main board that are used in the Fat Frog desks. Earlier desks used the STMain1/1B board, which had a 3.6V NiMH battery soldered to the board. Later desks use the STMain2 board, which has a 3V CR2032 Lithium coin cell. In either case, open up the desk and measure the battery voltage with a multimeter to check that it is OK.

Your problem with deleting fixtures causing colour information to be lost does sound unusual, I doubt this could be caused by a battery problem. It would help us if you could email your showfile (mailto:techsupp@zero88.com) so that we can look into this.

• 1 year later...