Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

tagging "home"

tygrysm

It's designed that way :) Pressing Home affects all parameters of the selected fixtures, hence they get auto-tagged by the desk.

Yes, but isn't it useless? You program eg. gobo with prism on position x1 y1. Then you want to program something else. You hit "home", then you have to detag all fixtures in order to program iris on position x2 y2. IMO "home" shouldn't tag changed parameters or even it should detag all. It would save a lot of time. Maybe the home button "tagability" function should be able to change in desk setup. Or maybe I think in the wrong way :)

Someone once suggested that WHEELGROUP+HOME should home the selected fixtures without tagging them. This fits in fairly consistently with other uses of the WHEELGROUP button in software 10.X. The 2 questions which arise from this are:

1. Should this UN-tag any tagged parameters for the selected fixtures?

2. Should Brightness be homed to 0% or 100% in this case?

Check out the posts on Frog Reference 5500 for similar discussions previously.

There are several issues here. Firstly, is the use of the Home button the correct one. IMHO, as its become an established convention, yes, the Home button presently should set every attribute to its default, the intensity to 100%, and tag everything.

However, what we really need is a 'release' function. What this does is sets everything to its home value, but the intensity to 0%. It also untags everything, as you are finished with the fixture. My suggested command for this was the WHEELGROUP+HOME combination. If people arent happy about this setting the fixture to 0%, BRIGHTNESS+HOME is only a small finger movement away and that'll home (and tag, when Trackingis implemented) the brightness.

Thats my thoughts, anyway.

Peter Kirkup

Someone once suggested that WHEELGROUP+HOME should home the selected fixtures without tagging them. This fits in fairly consistently with other uses of the WHEELGROUP button in software 10.X. The 2 questions which arise from this are:

1. Should this UN-tag any tagged parameters for the selected fixtures?

2. Should Brightness be homed to 0% or 100% in this case?

Check out the posts on Frog Reference 5500 for similar discussions previously.

All are my opinnions:

1. yes, because hitting home should be the first thing when you start programming new stage look (I can't immagine other use of this button). When you want to write a letter you pick up a blank paper. Home function now works as if you took a page with useless text and used rubber to clear it and write sth new.

2. 100% but untaged (in the future).

All those might be configurable from setup (eg. default brightness)

I don't know what others think, but IMO it would make programming faster.

However, what we really need is a 'release' function. What this does is sets everything to its home value, but the intensity to 0%. It also untags everything, as you are finished with the fixture. My suggested command for this was the WHEELGROUP+HOME combination. If people arent happy about this setting the fixture to 0%, BRIGHTNESS+HOME is only a small finger movement away and that'll home (and tag, when Trackingis implemented) the brightness.

That might be also a good solution ;)

I don't see why HOME should tag anything. In what case are you really going to program such a setting when you're in partial mode? Partial mode now implements full transparancy, so you'll only want to program things you change from default. In the one case you do want to program everything, you can always acheive that by pressing wheel group + program. So what is the benefit of tagging stuff on HOME??

In my opinion:

- HOME: everything to default parameters, nothing tagged

- HOME + WHEEL GROUP: everything to default parameters, fully tagged for those of you who actually use that, I'm not going to...

As for the brightness matter: when you get around the philosophy of the desk you'll won't need the HOME button during showtime, so who cares if brightness will be up or not? I found it an issue when I was a beginner, I don't anymore since more desks seem to work this way, when you get used to it it's fine.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

...So what is the benefit of tagging stuff on HOME??

Remember: With "Home" you change every parameter to its defaults and every changed parameter is automaticly tagged. So you need a function to untag them --> you already can do it with the fixture-select-button.

As for the brightness matter: when you get around the philosophy of the desk you'll won't need the HOME button during showtime, so who cares if brightness will be up or not? I found it an issue when I was a beginner, I don't anymore since more desks seem to work this way, when you get used to it it's fine.

During a show I often use a combination of memories, subs, palettes and direct settings with faders and wheels, so I even use the "Home"-button in a show. And for that reason I had set all my fixture brightness defaults with the Fixture Type Editor to 0%.

Remember: With "Home" you change every parameter to its defaults and every changed parameter is automaticly tagged. So you need a function to untag them --> you already can do it with the fixture-select-button.

That's not an answer to my question. I know how the desk works, but I wonder WHY it works like this. When are you going to actually use all the tagged HOME parameters? Or do you really want to program you're movers HOME parameters to a sub or memory? No you don't, you always want to program the stuff you alter after pressing home, so tagging all paramters isn't usefull since you're going to untag them anyway. And you're right: you can allready do that, but doing that every time takes way to much time.

During a show I often use a combination of memories, subs, palettes and direct settings with faders and wheels, so I even use the "Home"-button in a show. And for that reason I had set all my fixture brightness defaults with the Fixture Type Editor to 0%.

And what exactly would you need HOME for during the show? What effect do you acheive by turning off your lights and setting them to default position? If you want everything to go off, program a submaster containing brightness info and lower it. Resetting position, beamshape or colour can always be done by pressing the attribute button + HOME, which is a nice functionality (tagging involved here too?).

As far as I can see, the console always tags parameters you change. In my opinion it shouldn't, it should only tag parameters changed by hand via the encoder wheels or pallet entries. I find the other autotagging functions useless.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)