Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Help Please?!?!

Jude

I'm a pupil at a school and we've just had 4 Betapack 2's fitted and this is the first time we've used them (we've been using 2 before and linking them up with one cable and that has been working fine) When we came to testing and pointing our lights we realised that when we put up channel 1 on the desk, the lanterns plugged into the first dimmer on each rack came on rather than just the lanterns in dimmer 1 on the first rack, which we might idly hope for.

I've asked a friend who didn't know much about it but said that the problem is (hopefully) that our betapacks have the wrong programming somewhere and that we should look for a set of about 8 little switches which can be set to 1 or 0 that set up a binary number which tells it which number channel on the desk it starts at & they will all have been set up to 1 as default so what we need to do is change them so that they start at 1, 7, 13 etc

So I went and had a look and took off a panel and couldn't find anything like 8 switches, there were two circles that had the numbers 1-8 on them I think -is this what he is talking about and what should I do with them, our technical rehearsal is on saturday 8O Thank you!!!!!

Your friend is nearly right, you need to set the DMX start addresses of each of the Betapack2's. Since the Beta2 is a 6 channel dimmer, you need to set the start addresses to 1,7,13 and 19. You'd kind of hope the company that installed them would have done this, but hey.... The Beta2 has 3 10-position rotary switches to set the DMX start address: hundreds, tens and units. It's as simple as that.

If you've taken off the tamperproof plate that covers the 3 rotary switches that set the DMX start address on the front panel, then you've found the right thing. If you've taken off another panel, count yourself lucky you're not dead, and go and find someone who knows what they're doing!

Please! Don't remove panels out of curiosity. Read the manual first!

Thankyou, Well actually I didn't take it off... left that to our superviser, and he did take off the tamperproof plate and nothing else, -I just couldn't remember what it was called! The manual wasn't very clear on what you're meant to do when you've got the pannel off, hence my question. but thank you very much anyway :)