Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Betapack 1

Jazzy

Hi all,

I've just picked up a couple of the first model Betapacks that need a bit of attention. I was wondering if spare parts for them are still available, mainly the rack mounting wings and fuse holders also the module with the induction coil ( one of them has been silicon glued together).

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I have a betapack 1 with channel 2 stuck on. Usually this fault just needs a spare triac. Unfortunately it's getting rather difficult to find BTA25-600A triacs from the usual suspects (RS, Farnell, etc.). BTA25-600B parts are still generally available but as they take only half the gate current I'm not sure a substitution would be successful. Do you know if the B series components can be used instead of the A series ones?

Also, I understand that the MCB equipped betapacks generally had BTA40 triacs fitted instead. If I were to substitute those on a fuse-equipped betapack, would I:

a) run the risk of making the unit unsafe in some way.

B) Need to exchange additional components on the channels with BTA40 triacs to get remotely similar dimmer curves to those channels which still had BTA25 triacs fitted?

c) reduce the likelihood that the triacs will fail in the future as the BTA40 has a higher current rating?

Thanks for any information.

Do you know if the B series components can be used instead of the A series ones?

According to our parts management system (which I have to rely on, since I wasn't about in the Beta1 days!), we have used both the BTA25-600A and BTA25-600B variants, so you should be fine.

I understand that the MCB equipped betapacks generally had BTA40 triacs fitted instead.

Correct. This is because breakers are slower to react to a short-circuit than a fuse, so the triac needs to be stronger to withstand the increased time before the fault current is broken by the protective device.

If I were to substitute those on a fuse-equipped betapack, would I:

a) run the risk of making the unit unsafe in some way.

no

B) Need to exchange additional components on the channels with BTA40 triacs to get remotely similar dimmer curves to those channels which still had BTA25 triacs fitted?

no

c) reduce the likelihood that the triacs will fail in the future as the BTA40 has a higher current rating?

yes

Good news all round really, I hope these were the answers you were looking for!

• 1 year later...

The Betapack1 fuseholder components are:

4030000 Fuseholder (p/mnt) 1,1/4 & 20x5 Schurter FEU031-1673

4031000 Fusecap (bayonet) 1,1/4 Schurter FEK031-1661

4011000 Fuse 1.25" 10A QB Ceramic HRC only

We still have these in stock, give the office a call if you need to order some.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Fuses:

1/4" x 1 1/4" (6.35mmx32mm) 10A quick blow HRC fuse

e.g. SIBA 70-065-63 10A

Farnell: 117-5122

RS: 413-248

CPC: I could not find a suitable part (Dec 2009). The appropriate SIBA range is not stocked. FF01781 was the closest I could find but has an inadeqate breaking capacity.

Betapack 1 UK 15A replacement front panel sockets:

Stage Electrics order code 658-4621 (£3.91+VAT ea. at Jan 2010)

According to Keith, this socket is also used on early BP2's. Later BP2 and BP3 use a Zero88 custom-made socket - contact Paul/Keith.

Also for Betapack:

Triac BTA40-600B is Farnell code 980-1715 (£6.39+VAT ea. at Jan 2010) - Fuse-protected Betapacks can use BTA25-600B which you might find slightly cheaper at some suppliers (e.g. CPC SC07588 £4.84+VAT). BTA40 must be used for MCB-protected Betapacks.

Triac board opto-coupler MOC3052-M (6-pin DIP-W) is Farnell code 146-7848 (£1.18+VAT ea. at Jan 2010). (This part is a suitable replacement for the obsolete MOC3021 used on early BP1's).

Betapack 1 fuseholder:

RS 197-9519, Farnell 121-4783 (cap), 121-4782 (spade rather than solder terminals)

• 4 years later...

Update: Sept 2014

Looking for some triacs for Betapack, I notice RS don't do BTA25-600B, but they do do BTA40-600B:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/triacs/1270654/ @ £5.86+VAT

Note: Don't be tempted by BTA26-600B as it's the wrong package! [Nearly fell for that one until I checked the datasheet!]

CPC still do the BTA25-600B:

http://cpc.farnell.com/stmicroelectronics/bta25-600b/triac-25a-600v-rd-91/dp/SC07588 @£6.23+VAT

Kevin

Whilst I'm here, 100k sync timing resistors for BP1/BP2 must be VR68 rated 1W, e.g:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6835297/ @ £0.60+VAT each (min order qty 10)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...