Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Tracking

Paul

Moderation: Tracking discussion split from THIS TOPIC.

Tracking is a function for the cue stack (Playback X). It basically means in each cue, you only record the changes, not the entire state. When you play back the cue stack, even if you jump around it, the desk will output the full tracked state each time.

K-Nine's description for the Illusion (here) might give you a bit more detail. The implementation for the Frog will no doubt be similar in some ways :-)

i am familiar with tracking, having seen it on the hog family. But will we be able to turn it on and off?

The implementation we had envisaged, was that if you set the Program Mode to Full in SuperUser, that tracking would be off, and that if you set the Program Mode to Partial in SuperUser, that tracking would be on.

Would this be OK for you? Or would you want to program in partial mode but without tracking? I can't really see how this would be useful, since a partial memory stack without tracking (which is what the Frog does currently) isn't the most useful way for the desk to work. If you jump around the stack you get all sorts of wierd and wonderful states.

All comments gratefully received...

But it would be nice to be able to program in full mode with tracking? i think , i am not sure, but i think so, but if you do make the tracking a feature that can be turned on/off along with program mode, why not separate it into its own and make a tracking on/off setting in superuser?

Will multiple chases be possible? you could start a chase at one memory and in the next start another and then at the third stop them both?

Move while dark! -> GOGOGO! :D

Thank you Zero for the FR 5402 :)

But it would be nice to be able to program in full mode with tracking? i think , i am not sure, but i think so, but if you do make the tracking a feature that can be turned on/off along with program mode, why not separate it into its own and make a tracking on/off setting i superuser?

Full mode and tracking are opposites. You cannot have both simultaneously.

Will multiple chases be possible? you could start a chase at one memory and in the next start another and then at the third stop them both?

Yes, see here and here.

Just to clarify exactly what tracking is and does. Take a look at the following example:

*Sorry for the dodgy images*

Key:

biggrin.gif 100%

ph34r.gif 0%

wub.gif Tracking

Traditional Theatre Stack

Cue One:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifph34r.gif

Cue Two:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Cue Three:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifbiggrin.gif

All of the data is programmed between each cue. If you go and adjust something in Cue Two, it updates only in Cue Two. If I wanted the first light off in all three cues, i'd have to go and edit three cues.

Tracking Theatre Stack

Cue One:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifph34r.gif

Cue Two:

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifwub.gif

Cue Three:

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifbiggrin.gif

If you go and edit the first channel in Cue Two, it will filter through to Cue Three. Depending on the implementation of tracking, there may also be an option to 'track backwards', in which case, altering the first lightin Cue Two will also edit it in Cues One and Three.

In the above example, both stacks would output the same data. Put simply, a tracking cue only stores the changes. This has its advantages and disadvantages - an advantage is that if you want to change something throughout a whole scene, you only need to reprogram it once. A disadvantage is the fact that things can get messy if you start messing around within the cue stack - you can accidentally program lights at the 'wrong' level as you may not notice that the level has tracked from a previous cue. The solution to this is to create 'block' cues, which hard program all levels. Then, if cues previous to the one you're working on are altered, the changes will only ever get as far as the block cue. Block cues are best used around the start of scenes, or on big lighting changes. A rough equivilant of a block cue in version 10 of the software is holding down WHEEL GROUP and pressing PROGRAM. This forces all parameters of all fixtures to programmed. I would use these cues for the first cue in the show, any 'blackouts' and the cues after blackouts.

Peter Kirkup

I think ideally the tracking function would be a separately enabled option to Full/Partial Mode Selection. Would there be a a disadvantage to doing this? The tracking option would simply be disabled if Full mode is selected in the other option. I am sure there are many people, perhaps including myself at times, who still prefer programming the entire state as opposed to just the changes (especially in smaller shows with very little preparation time) :?: Don't get me wrong though, when enabled tracking could, and will, be a great feature of the desk.

sp

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What you have currently with Version 10.0 software (in partial programming mode) is:

- Brightness (HTP) parameters are always recorded.

- Only LTP parameters which you have changed are automatically tagged, and hence recorded when you hit 'Program'.

- You can record all LTP parameters (regardless of their tagged state) by holding down the Wheel Group button when you hit 'Program'.

There are 2 key things missing here to make the desk a full tracking desk:

- You need to be able to tag brightness (HTP) parameters.

- Memories in the memory stack should look the same when you play them back, regardless of the order in which you play back the memory stack.

We have committed to addressing both of these in version 10.X, in order to make the Frog desks full tracking consoles.