Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Indicate levels from submasters

LeeStoddart

When in the PW could we indicate (colour code) levels which arise from a submaster.

In EDIT LIVE a memory I noticed that a couple of channels were up and should not have been so I selected them, wheeled them down to zero (they became tagged), SAVE, on exit from the PW the channels popped up to FULL again. I start cursing (it is late in the evening) and start changing Q's just before and rechanging the same Q - several unsuccessful attempts later I see that I have a submaster slider at FULL :oops: . Yes I know it's my own stupidity for not noticing but a visual cue on the screen would help :wink:

Lee Stoddart

This is an interesting point - When looking at the brightness levels in the PW it is not currently possible to determine the SOURCE of this data, ie it could be the Playback X, Playback A/B, a submaster or a level entered by the user.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to determine where the level originated, especially if it was changing as a result of a chase or sound to light memory running, but it is something we could look into.

I can see how it would be useful to see which levels were coming from the submasters, and colour coding may be one solution.

I'm just wondering if we had different colours for Playback X, Playback A/B, Submasters and user entry in the PW it might get too confusing - maybe we just need to discriminate those coming from submasters - what do you think ?

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

I'm just wondering if we had different colours for Playback X, Playback A/B, Submasters and user entry in the PW it might get too confusing - maybe we just need to discriminate those coming from submasters - what do you think ?

Hmmm -

Firstly I think this question only arises on the BRIGHTNESS section.

I have not used Playback A/B so can't comment specifically on how they would interact from a usage perspective, but I imagine they are somewhat like submasters with a Q transferred into them.

Playback X - well I think that's what I'm looking at when I'm in EDIT LIVE on a memory when I get into the screen.

(assuming I have no Submasters up) If the memory in Playback X is say Q20 and I EDIT LIVE Q10, I see Q10 not some combination of Q10 and Q20 on a HTP basis. So I think that the initial values in the EDIT LIVE are what this memory would look like were it in Playback X. I have not tried it but if I'm in EDIT LIVE does moving the Playback X slider have any impact? - I don't expect it would.

Anything which is being output from submasters (and probably Playback A or B) is combined with that initial look on a HTP basis.

So the question is how to indicate the Source of the levels shown.

How about the colour of the Numeric value of the level - If its from Playback X then Black, if from Submasters then Yellow, if from Playback A or B then Green, if from user input then Blue.

But what about EDIT LIVE of a submaster? - In that case I would expect the target Submaster's levels to be in Black and any levels being combined from other submasters to be in Yellow, I'm guessing Playback X is not considered but if Playback A/B are then their levels would be shown in Green.

Well you asked for suggestions :roll:

Lee Stoddart

Some interesting ideas there, and I think you are beginning to appreciate the complexity of the problem/solution.

You are right that it is a Brightness issue - since the dimmer channels and fixture brightness parameters are mixed on a HTP basis from the different sources.

When you edit live a memory - you see the HTP outputs programmed in the memory on the outputs - but any higher values coming from submasters (and I think playback A/B) will also be mixed in - as you discovered recently :P

However when you edit live a submaster - the desk software effectively removes the HTP contribution from the playback x temporarily (equivalent to taking the playback X master to zero). You still get higher values from other submasters (and playback A/B) contributing as before.

If you simply open the Program Window using the channel, fixture or group key then the outputs from Playback X, the submasters and playback A/B will be contributing on a HTP basis.

By entering commands, using the wheel or mouse you can then bring channel levels below their normal HTP mixed value, at which point they effectively become LTP :shock:

Perhaps now you can appreciate why this may take a while to resolve and propose a feasible solution :wink:

Bran Media | Myspace

Some interesting ideas there, and I think you are beginning to appreciate the complexity of the problem/solution. ... Perhaps now you can appreciate why this may take a while to resolve and propose a feasible solution :wink:

Did anyone say that designing effective user interfaces was child's play :?: :roll:

Seriously the interface is good - I'm just looking to make it better (and still not overload the information). Colour coding of the "source" of the levels would just help understand what is being looked at. It could also be an indication in the EDIT LIVE of the different objects as to what is contributing to the look.

If you did go down this colour code route - I'd consider using it in the CDD - again as pointers to what is causing the values.

All of which is going to give you things to think about - I'm not expecting such ideas to be adopted immediately - it's just an expression of interest.

Lee Stoddart

Some interesting ideas there, and I think you are beginning to appreciate the complexity of the problem/solution. ... Perhaps now you can appreciate why this may take a while to resolve and propose a feasible solution :wink:

Did anyone say that designing effective user interfaces was child's play :?: :roll:

Hopefully not or that would make me a very old child :lol:

Seriously the interface is good - I'm just looking to make it better (and still not overload the information). Colour coding of the "source" of the levels would just help understand what is being looked at. It could also be an indication in the EDIT LIVE of the different objects as to what is contributing to the look.

If you did go down this colour code route - I'd consider using it in the CDD - again as pointers to what is causing the values.

All of which is going to give you things to think about - I'm not expecting such ideas to be adopted immediately - it's just an expression of interest.

Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions - this is the sort of user feedback we are looking for. The aim is to provide the information which is most useful without over complicating the displays.

Bran Media | Myspace