Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fade Down Time on Memory ignored

LeeStoddart

[disclaimer]First day of using the Illusion 500 so this may be operator error [disclaimer]

I saved a couple of states as both memories and as submasters. I tried bringing up the submasters and found that there were times associated with it - I would prefer to have direct control using the slider. I changed desk setup so that the default Submaster fade in and fade out times were 0.

Recorded a couple of more states as both memories and submasters.

Then when I progressed through the memory stack using go button, the first couple of memories behaved as expected but the second couple behaved as if the fade out time was 0 and the fade in as 3.0 This despite the memories showing both fade out and fade in as 3.0. Changing both times to 15.0 still had a snap out of the previous state and a slower fade in of the new state.

Lee Stoddart

Firstly the memory and submaster defaults in desk setup will only be applied to memories and submasters programmed after you have adjusted the default values. Any memories or subs you have recorded prior to this will retain their fade times - however these can be adjusted as required on the memories or submasters screens.

With memories - the delay up, delay down, fade up and fade down times only apply to the dimmer channels and fixture brightness parameters. When on the memories screen ensure that the red light in the Brightness button is lit.

Any colour,beamshape and position parameters programmed in the memory data will behave according to their own delay and transition times. To display these times on the memories screen press the Colour, Beamshape or Position button as required; the column headings on the memory screen change accordingly.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Another thing to remember with the HTP (dimmer channel and fixture brightness) fades between memories on the memory stack using Playback X:

The output values of a dimmer channel or fixture brightness parameter will be determined by its values in the current and next memories:

If the channel/parameter is going from a lower value to a higher value - it will fade up in the Fade Up time of the incoming memory.

If the channel/parameter is going from a higher value to a lower value - it will fade down in the Fade Down time of the incoming memory.

If the channel/parameter has the same value in both memories, it will remain at that value during the transition.

Bran Media | Myspace

Firstly the memory and submaster defaults in desk setup will only be applied to memories and submasters programmed after you have adjusted the default values. Any memories or subs you have recorded prior to this will retain their fade times - however these can be adjusted as required on the memories or submasters screens.

Understood - in the behaviour I had the first couple of cues continued to behave as anticipated - ie channls moving to a lower intensity faded down in 3 secs and those going to a brighter intensity faded up in 3 secs.

The "problem" occured with the couple of cues recorded after changing the default times for submasters. The memory screen still showed fade down and fade up times of 3 secs but the behaviour was that when progressing from Q2 to Q3 the going down channels snapped but the going up channels faded in the 3 seconds. Even after I changed both the fade in and fade out times on Q3 from 3 to 15 seconds, going from Q2 to Q3 was as if the times on that cue were set as 0 and 15.

At this stage of the session I was only dealing with conventionals so was only interested in Brightness.

The only thing I think I was doing that was odd was having created a look on stage I was doing SAVE AS to create a memory AND doing SAVE AS to create a submaster (I can't remember which sequence I did those two saves) before closing the CDW.

Lee Stoddart

If you do a save as .. to a memory and then to the submaster you have to remember to tag the channels/parameters again before doing the second save (assuming you are running in partial mode).

The act of doing a save as.. to a memory or submaster automatically untags all the channels/parameters.

Is there a reason why you are saving the 'scene' to both a memory and a submaster ?

I am a bit confused as to why changing the fade times on submasters should have any effect on playing back the cues from the playback X :?

The fade times on the submasters are independent of the fade times for the memory, even if you transfer the memory onto a submaster.

Assuming that the desk is in Partial Mode - There is also a difference between outputting memories on the playback x and via submasters.

On the playback x you are considering the fade between the current and next memory and take into account all of the dimmer channels in those memories.

With submasters - as you raise and lower the submaster fader you are only affecting the programmed(tagged) channels in the data on that submaster.

Bran Media | Myspace