Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Command line

richard

Hello

I would just like to make a small point.

While using the strand 500 series, to build and record a state (scene) from the 'Live' screen (from where the show is usually run from) I do the following (assuming I am in direct 1 digit mode (*=enter):

[1] [@] [5] (channel 1 @ 50%)

[2] [@] [2.5] (channel 2 @25%)

[3] [@] [4] (channel 3 @ 40%)

[record] [1] [time] [3] [/] [5] [delay] [10][/][0] [text] [hello] [*]

to do the same on the illusion series I have to do the following (assuming in direct 1 digit...)

[channel]

[1][@][5]

[2][@][2.5]

[3][@][4]

[save]

{select cue number]

[1]{select /click 'OK'}

[>]

[hello]

[>]

[>]

[3][*]

[>]

[5][*]

[>]

[10]

[save]

As you can see this takes far, far longer. (I may have got the number of >'s wrong)

I know that the strand is far more expensive, but if you seriously want to break in to the proffesional market you need to take note of the way that the current standard desks work, I have used the strand as the example, but ETC desks use a similar syntax, and it is what people become to expect.

At the present, while the illusion contains most of the features you would need from a lighting desk, the simple, useful features take far too long to access. There is far too much use made of seperate windows, which while nice and easy for a beginner to understand, they are not much use when you are trying to program a larg-ish show.

If it is felt that all these windows, such as the CDW, CDD etc are really required (I don't think they are, but...) then I think that all the desk functions should be available from within the single 'channel' window - ie, from there you should be able to record cues, without exiting, you should be able to specify their times, and run them. You should be able to selectivly record specific channels (ie [1][thru][12][save][15] saves the levels of channels 1 thru 12 into cue 15).

Most operators work with a seperate LD, therefore their job involves a lot of dictation. Most LDs call '1 at 50, 3 at full, record that as cue 12, with a time of 12 and 15 (or just 12). In order for this desk to be of any real use in a professional enviorment you need to be able to create cues at the speed of the Lighting designer calling them. So using a mouse or cursor keys is really not acceptable.

I like the idea of the edit live, screens, and they are fine when you are working on your own as the LD, plotting yourself. But when you have only 5 seconds before the cue and you want to knock channel 180 up 15%, you really don't want to have to go through 20 odd key-presses to be able to do this.

You should be able to run cues from the edit live screen, and have the cue number follow. So that you can be modding continuously...

I do think that the illusion is good, and it does have a lot of promise, but it needs to conform with more of the current standards before it will be able to be considered anything approaching useful for a larger scale venue.

Cheers

Richard

A small point !! :shock:

hehehe...

In all seriousness, thanks for your feedback Richard. As you know, we try to be as open as possible to development ideas from our user-base, that's what these forums are all about.

The Illusion continues to evolve and will for some time to come, so keep the ideas and comments coming.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace