Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Edit Live/CDW Crashes

NPhillips

So far, in nine hours of programming, the console has crashed four times. All of the crashes occur in the Edit Live or CDW windows. What happens is:

I will be setting levels, modifying a memory

I will save the changes

The window does not close, and will not close:

[F8] does not close the window- the command line says "close"

Mouse click "close" and the button responds, window does not close

With no way out, one is forced to reboot the console (which requires unplugging since there is no power switch).

The changes will be saved properly, and nothing is lost.

I still cannot find a direct relation to something I have done to causing the crash to occur... this is a problem... :)

We've had a couple of reports about this one, but so far have been unable to reproduce it here.

It would be extremely useful to us if you could send us your show file to assist us in tracking this down.

Thanks for your help,

Paul.

So what you're saying is that there is a known fault that cannot be fixed!!!! And there is no way as yet to reproduce or fix this! What an awful support system you offer, we are trying to run a live show with an audience of 100,000s, and we live in constant fear of crashes, never again will one of these consoles be purchased/hied for any of my shows. :evil:

The first stage in fixing problems of this nature is to reproduce them under controlled conditions where they can be investigated further. To assist us in this task we often need to ask users to send us their show data, as it may be that there is some way that the desk has been set up that highlights a problem that was not spotted in testing here.

We are absolutely confident that if we can reproduce this problem, then it can be fixed. There is no question of that. I assure you that we take stability problems of this kind extremely seriously, and that as soon as we have corrected the problem, a software update will be released on our website.

Guest,

Please note that this is a minor crash problem compared with crashes/bugs I have experienced with the likes of ETC Expressions, or Wholehogs, or Compulite consoles.

The Illusion 500 reboots rather quickly, no data is lost (including the changes which caused the crash).

Please do not so hastily judge a product.

guest,

surely if you have an audience of 100 000s then you would be using a rig larger than the illusion is capable of handling- you would certainly have the budget. You've obviously never dealt with zero88 tech support- i have on 2 occasions and had immediate (and very helpful) replies, problems have to be replicated in Cwmbran as they occur in a show environment- otherwise the solution might not work.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yeah, last night the display crashed twice while modifying groups.

I still cannot figure out what the cause could be... it just happens.

Investigation has been carried out in Cwmbran and the problem appears to be related to clicking outside the Save As.. popup window, when saving edits from the Channel Data Window.

Illusion Reference No 4720 - Desk crashes or unable to close the CDW after editing - to be fixed in version ML1.4.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 9 months later...