Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Color Schemes

NPhillips

I would like to see more color schemes developed. User definable schemes. This is especially important in having the console mimic the color rules designers are use to, be it Obsession, Expression, Galaxy, Sabre, whatever...

One of the biggest complaints I am getting right now from people is the difficulty in reading the color information and channel number configurations (not 20/25 across!). Sitting down to a new console and having to figure out what the basic information is (colors, channels, and levels) should not be the most difficult part of lighting a show. Being able to lessen that gap would be huge. This has been somewhat alleviated by the implementation of an 18.1" flat panel here... :D

You probably wouldn't believe the amount of time various people in the R&D and Sales department spent on developing the one alternative 'high contrast' colour scheme on the Illusion :roll:

(The 'normal' colour scheme was based on the Sirius 250/500 monitor screens)

I can't remember how many different colour fields can be defined in a colour scheme (another one for the software guru).

I do however, remember a prototype tool for defining colour schemes being produced for our own use .. maybe that could be resurrected and given a simpler and more user-friendly interface :?

Illusion Reference No 4660 - Add some more colour schemes - to be reviewed.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

One of the biggest complaints I am getting right now from people is the difficulty in reading the color information and channel number configurations (not 20/25 across!).

There are several reasons why the channel data window and channel data displays are 24/30 channels across:

24 is a factor of 120/240 (the number of control channels on the Illusion desks)

30 is a factor of 120/240

This means that there is a complete number of lines of channels displayed in the CDW/CDD .. looks better aesthetically etc. 8)

Most dimmer packs come in multiples of 6/12 channels.

Sitting down to a new console and having to figure out what the basic information is (colors, channels, and levels) should not be the most difficult part of lighting a show. Being able to lessen that gap would be huge. This has been somewhat alleviated by the implementation of an 18.1" flat panel here... :D

I agree with your comment, but are you saying that all other desks from different manufacturer use exactly the same colours, terms, graphics etc on their monitor screens to represent the different items :?: I have seen monitor displays on other desks and found them very confusing to understand :?

Without wanting to sound too patronising, that is why I spend time producing the user manuals to explain things like the colour coding, monitor screens etc. :wink:

When designing the user interface, we also try and include user options wherever possible so you can choose whether your CDW shows bar graphs or numerics only; you enter channel values as percentages or DMX values, direct action or not etc etc. This is so you can set your desk up so it looks and feels like others you may be more familiar with.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace