Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

editing cue attributes

richard

It would be good if there could be a nicer way of editing cue atributes, I especially don't like the 'windows' style of continuously asking if you want to 'save changes', if I type something in any move the cursor, then yes of course I want to save the changes.

Message boxes are a bad idea on a lighting desk, they slow down plotting and can confuse people (I often don't look at the screen when I use a desk I know well).

Also, the fact that you delete a cue when pressing clear on the cue number seems to go against the logic of the rest of the desk. There are many times I have been given an anoying box asking if I really want to delete a cue, when all I am trying to do is clear the field before entering a different one.

I take your point, but I am sure there was a reason why any changes to memory data had to be confirmed with the SAVE button or by confirming when the warning popup was displayed.

I can see how the popups could slow you down as an experienced user, but conversely there are also other less experienced users who would probably prefer the safety net of being able to lose any edits or changes that they may have entered by mistake.

Maybe we need a user-selectable option which enables edits to be saved automatically when you move off the field or require user action to save, as in the current software ?

With the comment on deleting cues, is this when the cue (memory) number field becomes editable as a result of entering MEMORY x ?

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

When I am in techinicals or plotting I often need to jump between cues quite a lot, the problem occurs when I think I am going to go to cue 12 say, but then we change our minds, and I want to go to cue 15, so out of habit I press clear, then the pop-up appears and I have to waste a few seconds clearing that and starting again.

The option to get rid of message boxes would be a good one, however I would feel that when deleting cues there should be some form of user confirmation, on most desks it just involves pressing 'delete' or something similar twice. For this a window would be fine I would feel. But preferably actuated in a different way!

I agree a "super user" mode with the ability to lessen the console's baby-sitting would be a good route. Several methods regarding restoring a cue would solve many problems for me. The safety blanket of the ability to pull up that same cue from the last save, or, let us say, 20 commands previous provides that layer of protection. Just tonight my operator wrote over a cue on an Expression console and that was that, it was done. Even having one UNDO level would have saved us from having to read the entire show from disk (luckily I spin a disc every time I know I want to keep what I have!).

..... Just tonight my operator wrote over a cue on an Expression console and that was that, it was done. Even having one UNDO level would have saved us from having to read the entire show from disk (luckily I spin a disc every time I know I want to keep what I have!).

If you have accidently saved channel data to a memory or submaster it is possible to reverse the save operation using the UNDO EDIT button - see Illusion 500 Manual - Page 5-13. 8)

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace