Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Rem Dim KeY

richard

A rem dem key would be Sooo appreciated.

Please could you explain what you mean here as it is a term I am not familiar with :?:

Also, the ability to select all 'on' channels

In the CDW, if you press the ENTER button twice it will select all non-zero brightness channels 8)

Ref: Illusion 500 Manual - Page 4-8

Also, I seem to remember something odd about using groups, but I can't remember what!

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Rem - Dim:

Useage: [1] [THRU] [4] ([@][x}) [REMDIM]

result:

all channels apart from channels 1 thru 4 are turned off, channels 1 thru 4 are set at the level specified by [x], if [x] is not specified they are put 'on'

Does the enter thing work on the 120/240?

Thanks

Richard

You can currently achieve the effect of 'on' in 5 different ways:

1. Press the 'ON' button.

2. Press the '@' button twice.

3. Enter the value numerically (in several formats depending on what numeric entry mode you have the desk in)

4. Use the mouse.

5. Use the wheel on the front panel.

Do we really need another method??

Yes, the ENTER thing does work on the 120/240.

I was trying to figure out what 'rem' might be an abbreviation for, so we could understand better exactly how this function would behave, integrate cleanly with other functions, and in what situations it might be useful. But I couldn't! Can you let us know?

Cheers,

Paul.

Rem Dim (Remainder dim) will automaticallly 'highlight' the specified channel(s), see strand 500 series, similar to the 'solo' key on ETC desks or 'Highlight' on the Hog, the rem-dim key should however permanently take the channels out of the programmer.

The Rem Dim key should, as said above, automatically bring the channels to 'On' or to a defined level.

It would be particuarly useful for use when rig-checking as well as when plotting.

It would be a subject for discussion as to whether this would take out channels held by submasters as well, I would suggest not, but that could be a setup option.

On a slightly related subject, currently if you edit channel levels (just in 'channel', not 'edit' mode) and do not save them, the output remains with that until you move the 'X playback' fader. I would quite like the option to just keep the programmer the same with only the action of 'Go' changing it, which would allow easier 'buskability'.

On the same subject, would there be any possiblilty of being able to 'park' a channel at a specific level? - Say that channel x got knocked and is pointing at the audience.. It would be nice to be able (quickly) to be able to set that channel to '0' and have it stay there for all cues, but not be programmed as such. (All without going into setup), This could be a function such as 'Topset' (which I can't remember if you have implimented) But I would prefer the option to be able to 'park' units 'On' or at a certain level.

Thanks

Richard

I'm not sure if we could implement this function without adding a new button to the front panel of the desk .. a REM DIM key :?

There may be a way of getting the same result using the existing command line syntax ... I will have a think and let you know if I come up with a solution :wink:

As to setting channel levels in the CDW, I believe that they will remain on the outputs until an event occurs which causes the HTP outputs to be recalculated (eg move the Playback X Master, press the GO button or move a submaster fader).

I seem to remember us having numerous discussions on this when we were developing the Illusion 120/240 as you have the situation where the brightness channels which are normally HTP mixed, temporarily become LTP and then revert to HTP at some point :?

The problem we had was that there were different opinions as to what events would cause them to go back to their normal HTP mixing :?

Yes, there is a topset function which will allow you to take out a channel or channels from the outputs without affecting the channel data programmed in your memories and submasters.

for example: TOPSET CHANNEL 12 @ 0 ENTER TOPSET

will take out channel 12.

Bran Media | Myspace

I personally quite like the strand way of thigs, where channels are held in the playback until the 'Go' button is pressed. This means that you can, when busking, bring up a chanel (such as a spot), fade out the state, then fade it back in and hit go, if you currently do this you slightly annoying results.

RE rem dim key, would it not be possible to make one of the function keys do this, the feature would only be required when in the channel window, where I think only a few of the keys are in use..

Cheers

Richard

RE rem dim key, would it not be possible to make one of the function keys do this, the feature would only be required when in the channel window, where I think only a few of the keys are in use..

Yes this is a possible solution.

Note - The function keys that are assigned to various operations are dependendent on how the channel data window is opened and, if editing a memory, the memory type (scene, chase, sound to light etc.) and the edit mode (live or blind)

For example - edit blind a scene - only F6 and F8 are used in the CDW; edit live a chase - F4, F5, F6, F7 and F8 are all used :shock:

As we are in the process of developing the next stage of the Illusion 500, there is also the possibilty that extra soft buttons, with function key associations may also be required :wink:

There is also the syntax of the command line to consider -

Your suggestion of :

CHANNEL 1 THRU 4 @ X REMDIM or

CHANNEL 1 THRU 4 REMDIM

would probably be OK for certain channel entry modes but might not work for the direct entry modes (see manual page 11-7 for details).

Illusion Reference No 4698 - REM DIM function - to be reviewed.

Bran Media | Myspace

I don't see why they wouldn't work for direct entry, the way a strand works (which is one of the few desks that has a fully working rem dim feature) is that if you press the rem-dim key in direct entry mode, the last selected groups are assumed to be those you wish to alter.

so it is effectively two steps

a)

1 THRU 4 @ 5

-brings channels 1>4 to 50%

B)

REM-DIM

-kills the output on all other currently live channels.

Just thought I would put in on this conversation to further emphasize the importance+value of the Rem Dim function. This is especially true when focusing, reviewing cues or focuses within a cue. The Rem Dim function is more about turning things off then turning things on really... It eliminates the extra key strokes to turn something off, greatly increasing the speed of the focus down a pipe where a series of different systems (of units) are being alternated on/off in physical sequence rather than "channel" sequence. Rem Dim does need its own key/fast access method as I use the function on Obsession hundreds of times in a given day.

• 2 months later...