Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Numeric Entry

GLX

One important thing to appreciate is that the user interface for the Frog was originally designed around the Main LCD, the four cursor keys and other front panel buttons.

It was only when the naming of memories, submasters and palettes was added in Release 3.0 software, that it was deemed necessary to provide an external keyboard for text entry.

The consequence of this, is that to new users of the desks, there is the expectation that the external keyboard can be used in all fields of all screens on the Main LCD.

At the moment this is not the case, and there are obviously several areas where this functionality would make using the desk much quicker to use(eg selecting memories and DMX patching).

Therefore, extended use of the external keyboard to allow numeric entry in appropriate fields on the main LCD, is one of the main features being considered for future software upgrades.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Ironically enough, on the prototype desks, the keys were in a diamond configuration.

They were changed as in that pattern they made the LCD really difficult to use !

As has been said in another thread, the desk usage has shifted quite a lot so we are looking once again at the user interfaces.

Bran Media | Myspace

Thanks for the reply, I know I mentioned it when you did the training day, I posted mainly to see if you were able to do anything in the future, and to see if anyone else thought it was a good idea.

Nice to see that you are on the ball up there :lol:

At the time of posting I did not see the previous line, so sorry about the repost of something already in hand.

Steven

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to scroll down the memories screen without having to hold down the +/- button? Kind-of like a "page down" button. Also when copying memories instead of having to +/- all the way to next available memory. For instance, I was trying to copy memory 55 to memory 60. I had to press copy and then hold down the +/- button until it reached 60. Surely there has to be an easier way. If we ever use more than 100 memories it could be quite a burden. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Frog Reference No 5367 - Numeric Entry using an external keyboard - implemented in Release 7.5.

Data in any numeric field on the main LCD can now be entered directly from an external keyboard. This includes memory numbers, fade times, DMX patch addresses etc. (See Release Notes for Version 7.5 for full details).

Bran Media | Myspace

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone.

First post here so be gentle... :D

We all know that pressing + and - together jumps to memory number 1. Are there any shortcuts for jumping to the last memory or in steps of 10? Just annoying when you are trying to edit memory 200 and you don't have a keyboard attached!

Steve

Unfortunately, the only quick and accurate way to jump to a specific memory in the stack is by using an external keyboard - simply type in the memory number and press ENTER.

Frog Reference 5350 - Memory Scrolling - after holding down the button for a while increment in 10's.

Bran Media | Myspace