Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Cleaning a Frog

ice

Just a quick photoshoot of myself cleaning a Leap Frog.

Afbeelding(040).png

Hmmm a scratch on the PCB... and we didn't open it up before, strange!

Afbeelding(041).png

The front of the console upside down

Afbeelding(042).png

Damn these screws were fastened by a world wrestling champion or what? Needed my Leatherman on 50% of them because I was afraid the powered screwdriver would damage the board when it would skip out.

Afbeelding(043).png

Dirrrrrty!

Afbeelding(044).png

Clean :)

Afbeelding(045).png

Fixture buttons needed cleaning too!

Afbeelding(046).png

Where can I order spare buttons? Maybe some modding to convert this Leap into a Mambo :D

Afbeelding(047).png

Right, guys... you do know you can order these powercables in short versions right? Don't really get the point of this, but hey... don't care as long as it works I gues...

Conclusion: a lot of parts from the Netherlands (Philips chips, flat cables)! It's woth cleaning it out, we didn't have any problems with it but I could imagine some problems in the future when you don't clean it. Next up: the Fat Frog, but I guess that would produce the same pictures :)

Clean your Frog! :)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Hmmm a scratch on the PCB... and we didn't open it up before, strange!

The scratch looks superficial on the solder resist only, doesn't look from the picture like any of the tracks are cut.

Damn these screws were fastened by a world wrestling champion or what?

I'm not sure whether I dare pass on your comments to the lovely ladies that assemble the Frogs 8) Actually they use air tools in the factory, but I've never failed myself to disassemble a Frog using a good hand screwdriver. Maybe some of the muck you were cleaning out of the desk also got in and stuck the screws good and tight.

Where can I order spare buttons? Maybe some modding to convert this Leap into a Mambo

Even if you fitted the buttons, the software would not read them since it's not expecting them to be there. :P

Right, guys... you do know you can order these powercables in short versions right?

All the cables in the desk are made custom for Zero88 by a subcontractor. I guess the one you point out could be a little shorter, but we'd need to check where else it's used and whether a shorter length would be adequate all round. Common parts can sometimes be preferable to minimal parts when factories are concerned.

It's woth cleaning it out

I think the official Zero88 position on this would be that by undertaking this sort of work yourself on a desk, you are voiding the warranty on the product.

Nice pictures though ice, maybe we should get you to write service manuals for us :wink:

Believe it or not, but these pictures were taken with my mobile phone :) I'm very content with the camera on that thing.

As for the waranty: the console if a few years old anyway so that's not really a problem. I hope I'm actually preventing problems like this so I don't need your service department!

The scratch doens't affect the operation of the board, so I guess no tracks were cut (or those tracks are pointless :P). What was the keypress to get into the test-mode again?

As for the service manuals: send me some merchandise again and I'll even put on some neat white gloves ;)

Believe it or not, but these pictures were taken with my mobile phone :) I'm very content with the camera on that thing.

That's impressive - off topic I apologise, but which phone would this be?

sp

Nokia 6670: http://www.nokia.nl/uk/phones/PhoneModels/6670/index.html. Also equipped with navigation... damn thats good stuff, finding the location of your gig without any problems :D

Stripping took me about 3 hours I think, but I took my time and cleaned almost everything. I actually lost 1 fastening ring of one of the screws in the metal side panels, but that's no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

That´s a very good idea Ice

in our business it is necessary to keep your stuff clean !

face it ice you was curious to see frogintrails :D

Thank you for the pictures

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone