Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Diablo Memory Playback

In the Diablo Manual, section 5.2, its says a memory will continue outputting until either the channel level is changed by another memory or until the fader associated with the memory is moved to zero.

On mine it doesnt appear to behave this way. When I raise a fader for a memory with a movement effect on it, it continues even if I move the fader back down. I also note that the red led does not come on. Is this normal, or have I dont something wrong?

Steve

Once a movement effect is triggered it will keep running (regardless of the position of the submaster fader) until you trigger something else to stop it. This is LTP behaviour.

When playing back submasters, the red LEDs flash to indicate that the fader has not been 'grabbed'. This happens if you go into another mode like 'Live!', move the faders, then return to the main submasters page. You need then to return the fader to the previous position before it will 'grab' and become active again, at which point the red LED stops flashing.

Hi Paul,

So if I didnt have a movement effect on a memory, I would be able to move the fader to zero to remove the memory, like it says in the manual?

I have a few other questions too.

The lights I am using don't have dimmer channels, so they dont blackout when using the blackout command, or by setting a solo aux button. Is there a way to make them blackout? I could always create a blackout memory, but thinking about editing the fixture profile. For instance on the Martin 812 could I use the gobo channel?

When using LIVE! the joystick controls the pan and tilt, but the pan and tilt faders are not active, instead the speed and fade control work. Is this normal? The joystick seems to slowly move the pan and tilt, unlike the faders which allow you to move them quickly. Am I limited to only being able to use this when programming a memory?

Cheers,

Steve

www.dooza.tv

So if I didnt have a movement effect on a memory, I would be able to move the fader to zero to remove the memory, like it says in the manual?

Lowering the fader removes the brightness (HTP) contribution to the output. It does not un-trigger the attribute (LTP) channels.

The lights I am using don't have dimmer channels, so they dont blackout when using the blackout command, or by setting a solo aux button. Is there a way to make them blackout?

You need to create a blackout memory.

editing the fixture profile. For instance on the Martin 812 could I use the gobo channel?

If you edited the fixture profile so that what the desk thought was the brightness channel, was actually shutter or something like that on the actual fixture, then it would be mixed HTP rather than LTP and hence would respond to blackout. Depending on what you're doing, the tradeoff of HTP mixing against easier blackout may or may not work for you.

When using LIVE! the joystick controls the pan and tilt, but the pan and tilt faders are not active, instead the speed and fade control work. Is this normal?

This is the correct behaviour of the desk.

The joystick seems to slowly move the pan and tilt, unlike the faders which allow you to move them quickly. Am I limited to only being able to use this when programming a memory?

The joystick has a proportional response, so the further you move it away from the sprung centre, the faster your fixtures move. The maximum speed is fixed so that the response feels right for moving head fixtures. Since mirrors can move much faster, it can feel slower than what you're used to. The faders only work for pan/tilt in program mode, since in Live! mode, they're used to control the sequence.

Lowering the fader removes the brightness (HTP) contribution to the output. It does not un-trigger the attribute (LTP) channels.

Ahh, I see, none of my fixtures have the brightness channel, thats why i dont see this working.

The lights I am using don't have dimmer channels, so they dont blackout when using the blackout command, or by setting a solo aux button. Is there a way to make them blackout?

You need to create a blackout memory.

That makes sense.

editing the fixture profile. For instance on the Martin 812 could I use the gobo channel?

If you edited the fixture profile so that what the desk thought was the brightness channel, was actually shutter or something like that on the actual fixture, then it would be mixed HTP rather than LTP and hence would respond to blackout. Depending on what you're doing, the tradeoff of HTP mixing against easier blackout may or may not work for you.

What would happen if I did this?

The joystick seems to slowly move the pan and tilt, unlike the faders which allow you to move them quickly. Am I limited to only being able to use this when programming a memory?

The joystick has a proportional response, so the further you move it away from the sprung centre, the faster your fixtures move. The maximum speed is fixed so that the response feels right for moving head fixtures. Since mirrors can move much faster, it can feel slower than what you're used to. The faders only work for pan/tilt in program mode, since in Live! mode, they're used to control the sequence.

Ahh, I see. I take it there is no way to adjust the soeed of the response? Maybe this would could be a new feature? I dont know how it all works, but if it could then I will suggest it.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve

www.dooza.tv

If you set a channel in a fixture profile as brightness (Highest Takes Precedence HTP mixing), then it will be mixed with the fader, and will respond to blackout and solo.

The highest numerical value from the multiple sources (submasters, sequence, and Live!) is the value that will be output. For brightness, this is what you want. For other attributes, it's usually not what you want. For instance, on a shutter channel (for a fictitious fixture I just made up), you might have the following:

DMX Value.....Effect

0-9.................Shutter closed

10-19.............Shutter open

20-99.............Strobing

100-199......... Other effects

200-255..........Control & Reset Commands, Lamp Strike etc.

Since the highest numerical value would win, it would for example be impossible to override a submaster outputting a strobe effect with one that had the shutter open. The same would apply to colour selection on a colour wheel etc. Hence LTP (Last Takes Precedence) mixing is usually used for attribute control channels. The attribute values are sent to the DMX outputs when the submaster fader passes it's LTP Trigger Level (5% on the Diablo), or the sequence crossfade passes the LTP Trigger position (5%).