Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Need to make a prison out of lights!

samcoombes

Blue backlight, 201 front, play with a breakup gobo from above and you're almost there.

If you've got the chance, get some pipo's (i dont know if they're called like that in english?) and set them up in vertical bars from the... eeeh... don't know how that's called either :) I mean the place you use for your toplight (babelfish translates as "portal bridge" but I don't know if that's correct?).

Play with the image that creates on your horizon and you should make something cool...

I've got some pics of such a thing:

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

Design by M.Satter, not me... (we just do the sound there)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

You're right Patrick... damn, I thought I knew quite a lot when it comes to English, guess I'm wrong :). Maybe the haven't even got a portaalburg, it doesn't seem to be a standard in other countries.

First LX bar would do, if you take notice of the fact that's not the ones above the audience u use for frontlighting :).

This: http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/lanterns/p23.html is what's called a pipo here :) There quite old, but most theatre's have still got a bunch and for these kind of puproses there absolutely great.

I friend produced a prison look which was quite remarkable.

a pair of source fours next to each other with the "thin bars" gobo. Focused onto a desk and the floor around it. Lots of Haze to bring out the beams. The source fours were off to one side from the desk ~ 45degree angle I suppose.

As the scene started these two lights were the only illumination then as the actor walked into the set and sat at the desk a small amount of other light was slowly added (if I remember it was a blue to "dust" the stage and some cold front light for visibility).

Looked stunning.

Lee Stoddart

I friend produced a prison look which was quite remarkable.

a pair of source fours next to each other with the "thin bars" gobo. Focused onto a desk and the floor around it. Lots of Haze to bring out the beams. The source fours were off to one side from the desk ~ 45degree angle I suppose.

That's the same idea I mentioned with the "pipo's", although you don't have to use a gobo with those, just use the blades to make a vertical beam.

Try not to focus on the rear of the stage, when the light hits your scenery or horizon the audience will know how the effect was made, and it will therefore lose it's credibility. The color use is very important in these kind of sceme's

201 Front?

That's a cold blue color (LEE Full C.T. Blue) you can use for front lighting, U could also LEE196 though I don't know how that acts in the front.

• 1 month later...