Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Frog 2 - Who's it aimed at ?

ice

Okay so just to sum it up: you recommend a leap/fat frog for the somewhat smaller shows, and the Frog 2 will be usable for the larger type shows. It's gonna cost somewhat less than €10k, that's about the cost of an Avo Pearl 2004; which does bigger shows; is preferred & accepted by other tech's on bigger shows, and is also very usable for the smaller gigs.

I'm just wondering what your marketing strategy on this console is going to be. The Avo's have been accepted by a whole lot of people, and the Frogs haven't. Creating a console which works best in the larger shows and costs just as much as an Avo, I don't know.. don't really get it at this moment.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Okay so just to sum it up: you recommend a leap/fat frog for the somewhat smaller shows, and the Frog 2 will be usable for the larger type shows. It's gonna cost somewhat less than €10k, that's about the cost of an Avo Pearl 2004; which does bigger shows; is preferred & accepted by other tech's on bigger shows, and is also very usable for the smaller gigs.

That was just my personal opinion based on the type of rig that was being quoted. Obviously, if the number of dimmer channels and moving lights may increase with different shows, then you may have to rethink about the desk required to handle all situations :)

I'm just wondering what your marketing strategy on this console is going to be. The Avo's have been accepted by a whole lot of people, and the Frogs haven't. Creating a console which works best in the larger shows and costs just as much as an Avo, I don't know.. don't really get it at this moment.

That is obviously a question for Graham (NZ) :P

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Hi

Ice I am interested that you don't think we will be able to compete with an Avolite console. We do quiet well with them at the moment. If people are hooked into a certain way of thinking you won't change that.

That said the desk offers a different way of doing things to a Pearl. It works like a Hog in many ways but has things like unfold that you get on a Pearl. Bottom line is try the desk, if it works for you then great if not also great.

Price will be around what a Pearl is. Features I believe will be comparable or more. For a long time people in the forum have been asking us to make a desk to compete at this level. We have, wait till you can try it.

If people weren't prepared to consider options Celco would still be dominant along with Avolite, Flying Pigs would never have built Hog 2 or 3 and GrandMa would still be a dream. There is room for different desks in the market.

K Nine is right, for a small show why change? If you have 30 fixtures then it is worth looking at changing. If you want to program to parameter level then it is worth changing. If you want a full effects engine then it is worth changing. If you want to be able to swop a Mac 500 for a Cyberlight for instance it is worth changing.

The feature set and the hardware we are putting together can't come at the same price as a current Frog. Sorry.

We are already making slight changes to the software from initial feedback. Wait for your first demo.

Graham

Of course your absolutely right when you tell me to wait and try the console, and I definitely will.

It's just the fact that the current Frog range is awesome, it offers great stuff for reasonable prices. The only thing missing is for instance the possibility of partial programming. Because the next console is named "Frog 2" and is announced as being a successor of the Frog I thought it would solve those kind of programming issues, offering a slightly improved interface.

The Frog 2 like you're showing it at the moment is a completely new desk; the way of programming differs, the market it's aimed at differs, the price differs, etc. etc. In my opinion the only comparison with the "old" Frog consoles is the name. So I guess that fooled me for a while, thinking wrong things about the console.

I'll stop speculating and wait for the console first, it's just that when I look at it now I'm not sure I'd buy one. And that's not because I think the console isn't going to rock, it just isn't going to be what I hoped it would be; and a Pearl is much more closer to that I guess.

The way I see the F2 now is a great console when you've got a pretty nice rig and (very important) enough time to program you're lights, of course assuming you're going to get the software right that is.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)